Saturday, July 23, 2011

Winnipeg Jets' Team Crest Unveiled

Air Canada must be the primary team sponsor with this new Winnipeg Jets team logo. Surely the excitement in the city over the return of their hockey team has subsided slightly with this unveiling. Hockey is the sport with which the jersey is supposed be associated and this logo doesn't translate anything of the sort. I've been reading some of the reactions people are having and most are happy with the final product. They like the fact that it pays homage to Winnipeg's Royal Canadian Air Force history and that it is distinctly "Canadian". That's fine and good, but to me the NHL jersey and team concept is more about balancing your city's identity with gaudiness and flash. People like to bash teams like the Florida Panthers and San Jose Sharks for their jerseys and colors but I actually like what they've done. It's not my everyday taste by any means but it is more than appropriate for the NHL.

I must also ask, why do we Canadians CONSTANTLY feel the need to stick a maple leaf in when an opportunity arises? I'm all for national pride but when it shows up in nearly every aspect of sport in this country it begins to feel like we need affirmation from the world that we are as good as we say we are. Leave well enough alone and focus on the game; I watch sports for entertainment not to show off the fact that I'm a Canadian citizen. Let's also face the fact that Winnipeg isn't exactly the epicenter of Canada either. It's probably a really nice place but I wouldn't send anybody unfamiliar with Canada to it for a first impression.

2 comments:

  1. Well, if Stephen Harper had a tatoo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I though WPG had some alternate logos (less armed forces/maple leafy) that they were going to go with as well ?

    ReplyDelete