Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Unfriend"

Not too long ago I was treated to something that would likely never happen to me in real life, I was unfriended. Thanks to Facebook someone was able to say to me in one simple click of the mouse: I don't want to be your friend anymore. The feeling was mutual so I wasn't upset that this person did what they did but it made me think. We are all raised by our parents to accept people for who they are no matter how much we dislike them or disagree with what they believe; to tell someone to their face that you don't want anything to do with them is socially unacceptable. I have to admit I did do such a thing once upon a time, it was in my first year of high school and I told this guy who was unbelievably annoying that I didn't want to be his friend anymore. I don't regret doing it but in hindsight it was altogether unnecessary, he didn't deserve it and I'm sure he felt like shit afterwards. Now here we are today and Facebook has taken the same principle and put it in the aptly named "unfriend" button. Theoretically I could've stayed friends with that guy in high school, waited until Facebook came along, added him to my "friends" and then shortly after clicked that "unfriend" button. Simple, painless and effective.

Ultimately I suppose the question is, when do people start using this "unfriend" technique more rampantly in real life? It's a byproduct of this day and age for us to use popular internet ideas in our everyday actions and speech (OMG for instance) so it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe that eventually "unfriend" could be the next craze. Facebook is an ironic kind of thing in that we add and add to this "friend" total yet don't ever have anything to do with a vast majority of these people. We've already diluted the meaning of the word friend so why not further adulterate it by introducing "unfriend"?

1 comment:

  1. It's okay, you guys can always just re-friend sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete